Groundskeeper-Willy

The Blog of a Groundskeeper-Willy who is employed in a state high school in NSW. I like my job but can't live on the money $412.50 per week. {Now $428.56!} {Now $436.99!} {Now $455.27!}To live I will have to return to my trade so I have started looking, but so that my experiences in the education system are not consigned to the rubbish bin of posterity I am going to record them here.

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Multiculturalism

Multiculturalism

The school as a mix of nationalities it breaks down like this 85% Asian 10% Arabic 5% Anglo Celtic (if your parents were born in Italy, Hungary, Russia et el you are classified as Anglo Celtic)

I was here during the January school holidays when I was approached by an Asian parent

Parent “scuse me scuse me”

Willy stopping ride on mower “Certainly what did you do?”

Parent looks confused

Parent “Ah you enrol my son”

Willy “I beg your pardon?”

Parent “You work here you enrol my son”

Willy “ The office is closed for the Holidays”

Parent “ Not matter YOU ENROLL MY SON” getting agitated

Willy “ I am sorry sir but if you have not enrolled you child prior to the school term ending in December, then you would have little or no chance in enrolling them this term”

Parent smiling evilly “ Ah I give you 30000 dollars you enrol my son”

Willy “ I am sorry sir but I am unable to help you” starts up ride on mower

Parent “Noh Noh noh” in disbelief that there are something’s in this world that money can’t buy

Willy “ goodbye” and drives off



Scene Admin office

Willy is there unpacking boxes when this charming vignette takes place

Asian Indian woman enters with teenage daughter aged about 19 in tow

Daughter “ We would like to enrol my younger sister, but as my mum doesn’t speak very good English she has some questions to ask and I will translate”

Office Lady “ Ok”

Mother “ werrhhdhhdxbdhfhdehdcbnxbcdhfgejsjc nsbdshhbsdmh d”

Daughter “ Are there separate classes for the Indian Children?” trying to hide her embarrassment

Office Lady “ No all the children are in classes together”

Daughter translates mum looks inscrutable

Mother “ssshhdgtteuuudhhfgf”

Daughter “ Are there separate playground facilities for the Indian children?” Looking very embarrassed to be asking this, as by this time the whole office has stopped work and is hanging on every word.


Office Lady “No all the children are have the same playground”

Daughter translates mum looks inscrutable

Mother “lljggddrrkyt”


Daughter “ Are there separate bathroom facilities for the Indian Children?” turning a delightful shade of brownish pink


Office lady “ No Just separate facilities for boys and girls”

Daughter translates mum looks inscrutable

Mother “zzmmbnbffreriihddbnjjj,jyyg”


Daughter “ Are there separate eating areas for the Indian children?” hiding behind her hand as she asks this. Her eyes speak volumes as they apologise for her mother’s racist overtones

Office Lady “ No everyone eats together”

Daughter translates mum looks inscrutable

Mother “ weuuggrsffehhettdgguferfvv” to daughter

Daughter “ Ok thank you” with great relief on her face, they leave.


Ah Multiculturalism stay tuned for the next instalment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home